Experience Fall to Its Fullest in Bar Harbor: Leaf-peeping, Events and Shopping
Fall is upon us! As we enter the new season, Bar Harbor continues to be a thriving destination for outdoor fun with stunning fall foliage, shopping, great fall dining and craft breweries, and more. Temperatures are cooling down, and signs of fall are here. We’ve pulled together some tips for experiencing fall to its fullest, below.
While we cannot predict when the leaves will change, (so many factors impact the season!) historically Maine foliage occurs in late September through the first two weeks of October, with peak foliage in Bar Harbor and Acadia occurring during the first few weeks of October. Want to keep updated on the latest? Check out Maine’s Fall Foliage Tracker.
- On the trail: Your hiking views get even more rewarding in the fall. Hike to the summit of North Bubble, a moderate 2.6-mile loop, to enjoy the fall foliage that surrounds Jordan Pond and Eagle Lake in Acadia. Or, enjoy the Great Head Trail’s 1.7-mile loop for a moderate, family-friendly walk that features scenic views of Beehive, Sand Beach and the amazing pink granite cliffs. For those looking for serious adventure while leaf-peeping, hike the Beehive Trail, complete with an exposed iron-rung climb. The 1.9-mile advanced loop overlooks Sand Beach, Great Head and beyond.
- On the road: Stay cozy from the comfort of your car, all whilst taking in the beauty of the blazing autumn colors! Take a scenic fall drive on Park Loop Road. Be sure to stop in Bar Harbor for treats like hot cocoa, coffee and donuts for your ride.
- On the water: There are also ample opportunities to appreciate the foliage from the water. Paddle along with friends to enjoy fiery colors paired with the water’s serene blue. Be sure to check out paddling offerings from National Park Sea Kayak Tours, Coastal Kayaking Tours or, closer to Castine, Castine Kayak Adventures.
- In the sky: For an aerial view of the stunning autumnal colors, hop aboard an aircraft for a scenic flight tour. Book your flight from Scenic Flights of Acadia.
Take part in a fall event.
- MDI Marathon (October 16, 2022): The best marathon in the northeast has returned! Run in Cadillac Mountain's shadow and through quaint coastal villages before running along Somes Sound and a fjard on the Atlantic Coast. If you’re not taking part in the race, cheer on the runners and enjoy the beautiful foliage views.
- Early Bird Pajama Sale and Bed Races (November 12) This fun event will have you shopping, cheering and, most surprising of all, wearing PJs in public. The day of events starts with the Early Bird Pajama Sale. Roll out of bed in your coziest apparel – participating businesses will give you a discount for wearing PJs. The Bed Races involve competitive fun between area businesses on rolling, decorated beds. Cheer them on from the streets and be sure to snap a photo of the creative “beds.”
Shop all things cozy.
The weather turns crisp and cool this time of year – time to ensure you have everything you need to stay cozy. The Acadia Shops now carry the iconic Maine brand L.L. Bean, so you can find high quality apparel that will keep you snug as a bug. Cool as a Moose also offers plentiful layering options, socks and beanies. Make sure to grab some jammies from Debbah’s for a cozy night in.
Savor the flavors of fall.
Part of what makes fall, fall are those iconic tastes we associate with the season – the sweetness of nutmeg and pumpkin, the tang of apple, the spice of cinnamon, buttery sauces and warming broths. Hungry yet? Savor these fall favorites in Bar Harbor.
Photo by Heather & Maine