How To Ring in 2023 in Bar Harbor
As the buzz of the holidays gives way to the new year, Bar Harbor is the perfect spot to reset and relax. Our coastal town’s quiet charm and seaside views allow ample space for reflection, winding down and transitioning to the clean slate of 2023. Whether enjoying New Year’s Eve dinner downtown, witnessing the sunrise over Frenchman Bay or just relaxing in your hotel room, your weekend getaway in Bar Harbor will start 2023 off right. Here’s how to ring in 2023 in Bar Harbor.
1. Take part in New Year’s Eve festivities in Bar Harbor.Kick off the new year right – live music, brews and award-winning cuisine await. It may be a quieter time of year, but you’ll find plenty of places filled with light, warmth, good food and drinks.
2. Catch “Avatar” at The 1932 Criterion Theater.This historic theater is far from your regular run-of-the-mill theater – a shining jewel of Art Deco design, your movie experience will feel extra special. Despite the historic setting, you can catch the latest “Avatar: The Way of Water” on New Year’s Eve at 6 p.m. and New Year’s Day at 2 p.m. Get your tickets here.
- Fogtown Bar Harbor’s New Year’s Eve Party: You know Fogtown Taproom & Kitchen for its diverse list of brews, delicious bites and warm atmosphere that makes for perfect trivia and game nights. The brewery will be holding a New Year’s Eve party with hors d-oeuvres, drinks and live music by funk, folk, rock & reggae band Lasers in the Jungle from 9:30 p.m. until after midnight.
- Leary’s Landing: The iconic Irish pub will be elevating its already delightful offerings for New Year’s Eve. In addition to its classic menu of tavern favorites like wings and fish tacos, it will offer delicious specials.
- Havana: The fine dining American Latin restaurant is open New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day for tasty plates and libations.
- The Thirsty Whale Tavern: The charming pub atmosphere is a welcome and warming New Year’s Eve venue, open 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. and serving food, from coastal favorites like lobster rolls to a variety of classic pub fare, until 9 p.m.
3. Enjoy the first sunrise of 2023 from Shore Path or the town pier.You don’t have to venture far outside your hotel to enjoy the beauty of the sunrise over Frenchman Bay. The coast-hugging trail of the Shore Path faces due east and makes for the perfect sunrise location. The town pier similarly offers a brilliant area to witness the sun making its first entrance into the new year.
4. Hike Bar Island.This small, wooded island is accessible by a magical sand bar that appears at low tide (right from downtown Bar Harbor). It’s an easy hike with lovely views of Bar Harbor and Acadia peaks – just be sure to follow the tide charts to ensure you don’t get stuck on the island! While you cross the sand bar, be on the lookout for sea glass.
5. Where to stay on New Year’s Eve in Bar Harbor. Cozy up at your hotel.
- The Moorings Inn Waterfront: Located nearby in Southwest Harbor, this classic New England inn offers stunning oceanside views of Acadia National Park and panoramic views of mountains (complete with a telescope in the lounge area’s window to get a closer look!). The inn’s maritime history is showcased in its quaint décor and period antiques.
- Atlantic Oceanside: Enjoy your morning coffee overlooking the dazzling Frenchman Bay. With 12 acres of oceanfront property and world-class cuisine, it’s a true resort experience.
- Inn on Mount Desert: You’ll just be minutes from the waterfront when you stay at Inn on Mount Desert, but the feeling of being near the water will never really leave you here, thanks to the elegant nautical décor.
- Acadia Hotel: This former 19th-century ship captain’s house is now a dreamily modern place to stay, tastefully renovated and exceptionally clean. Golf enthusiasts will be pleased by the indoor golf onsite.
Ready to plan your 2023 getaway? Book your stay!