Friends of Acadia (FOA) is an independent nonprofit membership organization, founded in 1986. Its mission is to preserve the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality and cultural distinctiveness of Acadia National Park and the surrounding communities. We accomplish this mission through a combination of philanthropy, volunteerism, advocacy, and program innovation, thanks to a dedicated staff and board and the support of thousands of members and volunteers.
The Senior Development Officer works closely with the Director of Development, President, development staff, board, and volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors. This is an exciting opportunity for a full-time, detail oriented, self-motivated fundraising professional who believes in the mission of Friends of Acadia.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 major gift prospective donors, providing identification, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation through personal visits, telephone calls, written proposals, and other communications
- Interact easily and well with major donors and also in collaboration with the Director of Development, President, and board members
- Work with Director of Development and the development staff in setting and achieving fundraising goals
- Be responsible for raising current use, endowment, and capital support at the five to seven+ figure level
- Lead in-person and virtual event planning for the Friends of Acadia Annual Benefit Auction and other fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events
- Convene internal working groups to manage prospective donors to build deeper engagement with FOA and the park
- Compose fundraising proposals and write occasional fundraising copy, ads, and articles for social media, the FOA website, and Acadia—the magazine of Friends of Acadia
- Assist with volunteer committee management
- Build, cultivate, and strengthen FOA’s brand, reputation, and relationships throughout the community and within the National Park Service by being a trusted representative of the organization in public forums, partner meetings, and personal interactions of all kinds
- Advise Director of Development and perform other duties as requested.
The above responsibilities will require excellent writing skills, the ability to work independently, and a talent for juggling multiple responsibilities in addition to strong organizational and interpersonal skills to manage diverse interests and personalities. Past success in closing large gifts and working collaboratively
with various groups is a prerequisite for this position, as are strong judgment skills, a good sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced department.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of relevant experience. Capital campaign experience is preferred and familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
The Senior Development Officer position is a salaried, year-round position with the need for occasional weekend and evening work. FOA offers a competitive compensation package, values
diversity in the workplace, and does not discriminate in any way in its hiring decision.
If you are interested in being considered for the Friends of Acadia Senior Development Officer position, please send a cover letter and resume by March 15, 2021 to:
Search Committee – Senior Development Officer for Major Gifts and Events Friends of Acadia
PO Box 45
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Electronic applications are encouraged; please email the above written materials, saved as a PDF, to firstname.lastname@example.org
. and note Senior Development Officer Search Committee in your subject line.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
Friends of Acadia is an independent nonprofit organization, founded in 1986. Its mission is to preserve, protect and promote stewardship of the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality and distinctive cultural resources of Acadia National Park and the surrounding communities for the inspiration and enjoyment of current and future generations.
FOA is an equal opportunity employer.