Job Title: Philanthropy Director
Current Activities at the Mount Desert Island YMCA: The MDI Y seeks an engaging and passionate individual to assist in planning and implementing a development and fundraising program to provide for the short-and long-term needs of the Association including funds to support annual operations, endowment for sustainability, and a possible capital campaign for facility improvements.
Summary Position Description: Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Philanthropy Director is responsible for coordinating all development activities working closely with the MDI Y’s Board appointed Fundraising Committee, including also the MDI Y’s professional staff and team. The position is based at the MDI Y Bar Harbor facility, and may include a mix of in-office and remote work, and special weekend or evening hours.
- Oversees the fundraising process and maintains records of receipts and disbursements of funds (using the Y’s proprietary Daxko Operations & Accounting software system).
- Maintains a list of potential donors including businesses, foundations, and individuals.
- Researches potential sources of and in turn applications for grants and public funding.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors, sponsors and community partners.
- Report fundraising progress to appropriate volunteer-led Committees and staff leadership.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Y, at pre-determined external events.
- Working closely with the Y’s marketing team:
- Plans fundraising events.
- Create fundraising materials such as donation solicitation letters, thank you’s, proposals, and reports.
Qualifications and Experience Desired:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years prior related experience for a nonprofit organization (e.g. working with development, marketing, and donor database management).
- Sound knowledge of fundraising strategies and principles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with CRM/donor management software.
- Proven work as a team player, self-motivated and ability to work independently.
- Enthusiasm for donor engagement and direct fundraising.
- Flexibility to work occasional early mornings, evenings, and weekends as required for meetings and special events.
Compensation: This is a fulltime position (40 hours/week) with competitive salary and benefits. The anticipated annualized compensation is $55,000 to $65,000 (which includes a per-pay period supplement for health insurance). The Y provides employees with 7 paid holidays, 2 additional “floating holidays”, 16 hours of paid “wellness” time, and 10 days per year for employee paid vacation. The MDI Y offers a tax-deferred savings plan including also the Y’s own retirement plan (a defined contribution pension plan for which once employees are eligible, the MDI Y contributes 8 percent of each eligible employee’s compensation). Dental, vision, AD&D and life insurance is also paid for by the MDI Y for fulltime employees.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Please send via email in one pdf, the following documents 1) a cover letter, 2) a copy of your current resume, and 3) three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mount Desert Island YMCA is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. The MDI YMCA is committed to creating a diverse work environment and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.